2.problem “the starter motor stops turning”

Ecomatic talk and anything else.
[Guest/annonymous posting allowed]
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

2.problem “the starter motor stops turning”

Post by Hajo06 »

Admin wrote:
“The biggest quirk is that every so often when restarting, the starter motor stops turning, the car then does nothing for a few seconds, and then the car reattempts to start and it is fine. I am not sure what is causing this to happen.”
“Wenn der Motor ausgeschaltet ist, wenn ...”
Hajo wrote:
“starter motor wore out? When does signal come in the clip 50? …..“
Admin wrote:
“I thought too about the starter motor, however, when starting via the key, the starter motor is fine, even if cranking for very long periods, which leads me to believe it is digiswing which is commanding the starter to stop turning. Have you ever had to replace your starter motor? “

Yes, I already have the third starter motor with 260,000 km in the car. The starter is strongly loaded with the Ecomatic. Not for nothing it is installed the 1.8 kW of starter motor. - VW No. 020 911 023 B or TX or now P; - Bosch No. 0 001 110 099

Before you change starter motor, the function of the starter examines first of all.
- The starter clip 50 disconnect.
With test cable positive of battery on clip 50 give. First of all with ignition off.
- Then with ignition in. But specific features Ecomatic notice: Neutral gear, doors closed, engine coldly or Ecomatic off, locking counter for diesel engine F207 closed.
- Then you must test the function of the relay for starter J53. Test lamp on instrument board. Once in mass and the other side to the clip 50 at starter. During the test drive you see if lamp burns, starter has signal.
- As the next, signal with DIGISWING select. Measured value block "announcement list 04" source information 3 No. 7 „relay for starter J53 is activate“ 0 or 1.
Good luck, Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Re: 2.problem “the starter motor stops turning”

Post by Deylan »

Hi Hajo,

I will follow out your procedure as soon as I can. I need to get a charger for my laptop in the car, otherwise the battery on my laptop runs out really quickly. My laptop batter only lasts 10 min :mrgreen:

Can I ask - what happened when your starter motors were failing - Did the starer just stop working, just like that, or did it start doing strange things? :)

Also - how many clutches have you been through ? I think I may need a new clutch soon :)
"I've been guilty of hanging around...."
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Hi Hajo,

I didn't want to post till now in order to tempt-fate but when I replaced the auxillary battery it fixed this. I think the problem was the road speed sender (RSS) was loosing signal and confusing the ECU.

I do have some other slightly odd behaviour with the starter motor, but I am more concerned about the clutch closing abruptly in the meantime :)
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

For the time being I am going to rule out the starter motor from this problem, I did some more testing today and had the car standing for a couple of minutes on a hill.

I then took the handbrake off and the car started rolling down the hill, while this was happening, I selected reverse gear, the starter turned, stopped turning, started turning, stopped turning, started, then stopped turning again, and remained stopped, whilst reverse was selected. Something caused the control unit to stop commanding the starter motor for some reason. I turned the ignition off and did the initial start with the key and it was fine.

I could hear the starter motor relay clicking, suggesting the control unit was commanding this behaviour.

I'm going to check the gear monitoring switch. I think a sensor is causing this.

:? :?
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Hajo06 »

Starter seems in order. :-) Good.
And how is the protocol of the DIGSWING???
I already wrote:"Measured value block "announcement list 04" source information 3 No. 7 „relay for starter J53 is activate“ 0 or 1" ????
Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Hi Hajo,

I still haven't been able to borrow a laptop with sufficient battery life at the moment :lol: , so for the time being I am trying to reproduce the problem without VAGCOM :)
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Hajo06 »

If you lend all cable drums and extension cords of your neighbours, you need no battery. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Right, the car did this a fair bit this morning in two stages, once with the accelerator, the starter motor turned, stopped short, turned, stopped short, turned. Then with the ecomatic button, it turned, stopped short, and turned, whilst this was occuring, I switched off immediately and tried to start with the key - it started fine, so fingers crossed starter motor is OK.

Today the weather was quite damp, and I think this was causing it. I reckon there is condensation or damp in a sensor (possibly engine speed sender?). I also took the car for a spin in the wet weather last night, which would have caused a lot of condensation in the engine bay.

For the time being i'm also ruling out load signal potentiometer as it did it when commanding with ecomatic button, as well gear display switch, as this should have no bearing on starting to go into engine braking mode.
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Update #3292 ;)

I have a feeling the main battery is causing this, with the cold weather the starter is sounding weak in the morning, there also is a large voltage drop and I think this is causing loss of power to the relay.

Will continue to investigate once I have a new battery!